Friday 2 October 2015

Week 1 - Evolution

8 of September is my first class to Cell and Development Biology. I feel excited and curious on what are we going to learn here. My lecturer for this course is Dr. Parameswari Namasiwayam, where she will teach the upper half of the subject and Dr. Nik Mohd Afizan Nik Abdul Rahman for the second half of this subject. Today I only get to meet Dr. Parameswari and she gaves us the introduction of this subject, the exam scheme and things we need to prepare for her class. So we are informed how is the marks given for us for the first semester which is listed below:
Test 1          : 10%
Test 2          : 10%
Scl               : 40%
Final Exam : 40%
Moreover we are told that we need to write reflective journal using blogging. Which is very new to me, it's a new way of learning where I get to revise on the topics that the lecture had taught us, reflecting on things I had learned before or new things that I had just encounter with. I really think this a good way for us to get to understand ourselves on whether we truly understand the topics or not.


Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

The first topic for this subject is Theory of evolution and Charles Darwin. I have actually learn a little about evolution and heard of Charles Darwin. Whenever I heard of Charles Darwin it only remind me of the Galapagos island and the finches that he discovered, that is the only thing I learn about Charles Darwin in my STPM.
                          

Evolution is very interesting it change through a long period of time. Whenever I saw evolution I will think of the picture where the monkey slowly transform its physical appearance to become a human being. This is basically defines what evolution is, many people might not able to believe this happen but according the those scientist, their research has proven that evolution did happen.

We are asked to watch the video " Endless Forms Most Beautiful" after this first class. The contents are mostly about the ideas proposed by Darwin in Origin of Life, the evidence of evolution and mechanism of evolution. We are asked to discuss about the video on the next class.

So this is basically my first class for this subject Cell and Development Biology. It is so different from secondary school where we are ask to prepare ourselves before the class, get to know the topic and learn it before the class. I think this is a really good way for us to learn a new thing, rather than just being spoon fed by the lecture.



No comments:

Post a Comment